Taking meat to Virgin Gorda

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
cptnkirk

Taking meat to Virgin Gorda

Post by cptnkirk »

We're taking meat to Virgin Gorda and know about the form you are supposed to fill out to do so. Anyone have any experience with doing this. Is it a big hassle to get the meat checked and get thru customs. Do they relly check bags that much when coming in from a ferry from STT.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Captain Kirk: when are you going? Will you PM me with some of your research. I have gotten some help on this forum. We are probably going to go there for XMAS. I just gave my family all of the options and they were torn between St. John and Virgin Gorda.

We almost always bring a cooler and it hasn't been a problem at customs. On the regular forum Pip had some of his meat wrapped in foil. We don't do that because the guidelines say it has to be in it's original packaging and with a USDA stamp on it (for meat). I just don't want to take chances. That said, sometimes they really look and other times they barely glance inside.

Our cooler has wheels so it is really easy to transport.

xoxo
BasUR

Post by BasUR »

Just curious why you are taking meat with you. We bought tenderloin roasts and cut steaks. We get some of the best meat down there, and the roasts we bought were the same price as the one we bought at home yesterday.

Just seems like a hassle to go through customs with meat!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

XOXO
Really haven't done any research other than I know your supposed to fill this form out and send to them.
http://www.bvipirate.com/documents/BVIM ... cation.pdf

BasUR
Lord have mercy haven't you read any of my post all these years. I am a the boards biggest cheapa$$, I'm trying to save money.We live in the Midwest and I get boneless chicken breast,pork loin,hamburger for $2 a pound. I do splurge and bring some T bones down. Never been impressed with what I see in St John just figured Virgin Gorda would be the same. From what I've read meat selection is pretty hit and miss on the Virgin. We don't eat out more than a couple times and this trip is a two weeker. So I'm not sure you answered my question. Have you been thru customs with meat and it is a hassle?
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

We were just there in April with a cooler. They didn't open it but they asked us what we had in it. We didn't take our meat with us because when I looked into this I was under the impression that you couldn't bring meat ONTO the island. Have you looked into that specifically? I think that form is if you are sailing. I don't know why it would be different but I remember when we went I checked with customs and it seemed to be different if you were staying on island. If you are not allowed to bring it on I don't know if I would risk it. They seem pretty serious there at customs. I got yelled at for stepping a toe over the yellow line. lol.

If you want a sort of cheap eat out try the fish taco's at Little Dix bay. Soooo good.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

We buy 1/2 cow at a time from my brother in law. We've gotten used to the hormone free, grain fed beef so I don't want to have to buy beef on vacation and not like it. We're as much of a cheap a$$ as Kirk is! LOL.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Jo Ann - VA wrote:We buy 1/2 cow at a time from my brother in law. We've gotten used to the hormone free, grain fed beef so I don't want to have to buy beef on vacation and not like it. We're as much of a cheap a$$ as Kirk is! LOL.
Do you mean hormone free GRASS fed beef? That is what I get. Have you seen the movie Food, Inc ? It really has made me think about what we eat and where we get it.

Anyway, we tried getting 4 steaks at St. John and the quality wasn't good and we weren't able to get 4 of the same. So, we are cooler people.

Does anyone know if Virgin Gorda has more of a romantic vibe than family vibe? I was just looking at places to stay and everything is for 2--with a push for romance. This trip will be for the 4 of us. I was looking at Little Dix. Maybe I should look somewhere else?

xoxo
Lex

Post by Lex »

This is the best place I was able to find for BVI info:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/ ... &Board=bvi
BasUR

Post by BasUR »

No I haven't been through customs with meat or any food, and yes, they are more serious there. You would be more likely to get an answer on TTOL (www.traveltalkonline.com).

We just returned from VG. We had two adults and four kids, from 10 to 18. We stayed at a villa in Mahoe Bay. It was really nice. The kids enjoyed the Baths, Spring Bay and Trunk/Little Trunk. Savannah was almost deserted everyday and beautiful. Mahoe Bay had a wonderful reef to snorkel. We did the Jumbie bbq at Leverick, the kids were unimpressed. We spent a day on Anegada at Cow Wreck. Ate lunch at the Fat Virgin and Saba Rock.

The island was incredibly quiet, as was Anegada. Here is a link to my pics if anyone would like to take a look. There are no underwater photos because my Canon d10 got water in it and died.

http://www.dwarrenphoto.com/p45074864