Any ideas for boat trip with husband who gets seasick?

Travel discussion for St. John
susan & herb

Any ideas for boat trip with husband who gets seasick?

Post by susan & herb »

Please don't think I am nuts, but is there any boat trip while we are on SJ that my husband could go on and not loose his lunch. I love boats and the water. If I could convince him that he "probably" won't get sick he might go. Three years ago we went out with Capt Phil and we had to leave him on the little island that Capt Phil is building on because he was really getting queazy. It was difficult to get him to go back on capt phils little boat to return to SJ. I am hoping you guys can come up with something!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Hi Susan -

I, like your husband, get seasick as well. In fact, one year I was feeling seasick from snorkeling at Blue Cobblestone beach! Pretty pathetic!

Being the good Mom that I am, this past Friday, I went on a deep sea fishing boat with my two kids. I was very nervous and took two dramamine an hour before heading out. There were 4-6 foot swells and we were out for four hours. Several people were sick - they did not take any dramamine. I was fine.

So, I would highly recommend taking something like dramamine or bonine - they have a less-drowsy formula. Although I caught one measly fish that I had to throw back, I ended up having a fun time!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Hey Susan,

I am very susceptible to motion sickness also. I can't lay on a raft in the ocean for more than 15 minutes or I get queazy. But, I took bonine on a catamaran day sail and did great. It did the trick for me.

Jo Ann

I took the bonine two days in a row before the sail, every night before I went to bed.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
cat

Post by cat »

I too will add a suggestion of Dramamine or Bonine. I even drive everywhere because I get motion sickness so easy. No video games for me either. They make me sick too. We go on cruises etc because I can take the non drowsy dramamine. One in the morning and I am good for the whole day!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

You could get him the patch that goes behind your ear from the doctor
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm really surprised that y'all have had such good luck with Dramamine. I've tried everything...Dramamine, wristbands, blah, blah, blah...nothing works :(
Tiffany

Ear Patch

Post by Tiffany »

Hey there,
have his doctor get him a perscription for the ear patch. I swear by them!! I can get seasick very easily and the patch has helped me through numerous boat trips without a problem :) You just apply it a few hours before you get on a boat and then re-apply every three days. If you are just going out for a day, he can just apply it before you go out. I can't take Dramamine, etc. because it all makes me too tired, but the patch doesn't. Hope it helps. ~Tiffany
Thanks, Tiffany
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

I'm all about bonine. Give it a try. :D
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

We sailed on Born to Rhumb in Feb. My husband was a wreck just thinking about it. He got seasick on our honeymoon in Aruba 15 yrs ago and it took him days to get over it. Since then, he gets queasy in any ocean with even gentle waves/swells. We were in the tide pool at Disney's Blizzard Beach and he had to get out when he was just in up to his knees!

All that being said, I gave everybody Bonine on the morning of our day sail and no one got sick. As much fussing and worrying that my husband did prior to the trip, he made it just fine. The only place he got slightly queasy was on the Willy-T for lunch. Bonine works better for us than Dramamine as it doesn't make you drowsy. The "non-drowsy" medications/Dramamine seem to make my head buzz, so I don't prefer those.

All in all, we had 4 people in our group that gets queasy, and all did just fine.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Susan ... I get seasick looking at boats, and I am married to a man with a boat :oops: , who is obsessed with boats! That being said, the patch works for me, although it makes me drowsy and a very cheap date :wink:
Also forget sailboats, your husband will be better on big fast boats that get you where you want to go quickly. For the waters down there get a 28ft or larger boat with at least twin 200's. I always sit in the back of the boat, less motion!
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

Susan,

I am a great believer in Sea Bands, available at any large drugstore right next to the over the counter motion sickness remedies. These are stretchy fabric bands with a metallic button. You wear them on your wrists with the button placed over a pulse point. They start working immediately. I have used similar products for over twenty years. I used to get seasick - now I don't. I have given them to many friends. One friend had an airsickness problem that was remedied by using these bands. They do not work for everyone. At less that $10 for the pair they are a great medication free optioon.
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi everyone,

FYI. The Rx patch mentioned a couple of times above is called the Transderm Scope.
RD

Post by RD »

I am the turn-green-seasick kind of guy and I was able to enjoy a half day sail on Breath down there in 2005 and the BVI trip through Cruz Bay Watersports to Virgin Gorda in 2006 by taking the non-drowsy Dramamine.
augie

Post by augie »

Teresa_Rae wrote:I'm really surprised that y'all have had such good luck with Dramamine. I've tried everything...Dramamine, wristbands, blah, blah, blah...nothing works :(
One of the most interesting things about seasickness is how personalized it seems to be - that is, things that work great for some folks don't seem to work at all for others.

There seems to be a combination, in varying degrees per the indidiual, of physiology and psychology involved with mal de mer.

I rarely get seasick, but when I do, I ge hit as hard as anyone. My whole family is scuba certified and we do almost all of our diving off of scuba charter boats. My wife is much more prone to it than I am, my almost 16 year old son almost never is, and my 14 year old son has been seasick every time out so far. Up until now drammamine and bonine have been ineffective for him, we are trying powdered ginger root next.

The captain of the boat we use most often once told me that kids that had problems with ear infections when they were young often have lifelong succeptibility to seasickness. My youngest fits that profile, but then so does his brother (they both had t-tubes as toddlers) and it didn't seem to stick with him.

If you would like to do some research on possible remedies, scubaboard.com is a good place to poke around as it is always a concern with the diving community.

Good Luck!
Come see us!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I had to stop reading this thread because I was starting to get sea sick :lol: Just hearing all of ya'll talk about it was making me feel queasy and I don't get sea sick (knock on wood).

nothintolose