Jost van Dyke & Tortola

Travel discussion for St. John
kathyE

Jost van Dyke & Tortola

Post by kathyE »

We are planning a day trip via ferry from Cruz Bay to Jost Van Dyke, and if possible, on to Tortola. Is this doable in 1 day?
What is recommended we do on both islands?....tours, lunch, places to see? If we do go on to Tortola, is there a place for dinner that is recommended? I imagine we'd be at the West End, given its proximity to Jost Van Dyke.

Also-is there live music at dinnertime in one of the many restaurants in Cruz Bay?

Is Vie's Snack Shack still in operation?

We understand it will be VERY busy on STJ in the 2 weeks we are there...3/27-4/11. Any beaches recommended to avoid the crowds on Maho, Hawksnest, Francis?

Thanks so much!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Its certainly "do-able." Take the 9 AM ferry to Jost. Then you could take either the Noon or 2 PM ferry to West End. On Friday, I think there is a 5:30 ferry to STJ; on other days its 4:15---that doesn't leave much time on either island. Personally, I'd prefer to just do Jost.
---Jim
kathyE

Thank you, both Captain John & Iowaguy!

Post by kathyE »

Good advice!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Kathy-

IowaGuy is right, do one or the other -- I'd go for Jost if you want to be superlaid back. Stay near Soggy Dollar if you want a fun party scene, or head to Ivans if you want more peace and quiet.

And of course Foxy's is great for shopping and food as well.

As for music, you'll still be travelling in season so music can be found all over the place. Not as common in the off season but still prevalent. Just figure out where you want to go and check to see what nights they have music. Not all places have live music every night.

Yes Vies is still in operation. Even if she isn't there either her daughter or one of her other relatives will be. If she's closed then head to the Tourist Trap near Salt Pond or Skinny Legs in Coral Bay -- those are always a decent bet.

As for off the beaten path beaches, that's always hit or miss. We just drive by the parking lot and see how many cars there are in the lot. If there are too many we keep going.

A decent bet is always Salt Pond but there's a bit of a hike. (Don't get me wrong. Salt Pond can get busy too). But then again busy is relative on the beaches of STJ. Then of course there's Denis-- also a bit of a hike. As a general rule any beach involving a bit of a hike will keep many folks away.

Jumbie and Oppenheimer/Gibney are also decent bets due to very limited parking. But early bird gets the worm in these cases so roll out of bed early and head straight there. If the spaces are full move on and try again the next day.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
kathyE

Jost & Tortola

Post by kathyE »

All such good info! Thank you and CHEERS!