Last Detail for trip

Travel discussion for St. John
WSUbeachcoug

Last Detail for trip

Post by WSUbeachcoug »

I am down to 30 days until my trip and I can not seem to make a decision on where to stay one night before we check into our villa.
I contacted lavender hills, and a couple of other places hoping to come straight to St John. No single nights stays available.
I am bringing son and new daughter in law. I want everything to be perfect. My daughter in law loves to shop, and when I asked my son if she would want to do shopping in St Thomas he said yes.
So do I stay at Winward Passage, Emerald Beach or Secret Harbour. I am covering the lodging for the kids and because my husband snores I need to get 2 rooms or a suite. The Ritz is out.
Thanks for any input.
toni

Post by toni »

Windward passage is I assume what used to be the Holiday Inn? We've stayed there before but it's been several years. It's very convenient to walk to the shopping. It was ok when we stayed, nothing "wow", but it was easy walking to the shops and then we just grabbed a taxi to take us to the CA ferry since we didn't want to haul luggage.

We've also stayed at Mafolie http://www.mafolie.com/ which is up in the hills-gorgeous views and great restaurant.

Crystal Palace has great views too http://www.crystalpalaceusvi.com/

Sorry I can't comment on the others since we haven't stayed there.

Sounds like you might be stressing about the "perfect" part-don't let it get to you too much :) Good luck with your choice!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Secret Harbour is great but it is closest to Red Hook. You'd be about a 45 minute taxi drive from the shopping in Charlotte Amelie. I think you might want to choose a different hotel if shopping is your main goal for that day. There is a small amount of shopping in Red Hook but nothing like CA/Yacht Haven.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We are leaving tomorrow AM and are staying one night in St Thomas also. We like to stay at the Crystal Palace. It is a B&B in an old St Thomas home. The host is charming and will pick you up at the airport. It is about three blocks up from shopping district and a short walk to the CA ferry. It is worth looking over. At least give Ronnie a call.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

If you want to wow them with an amazing view and a beautiful place, check out Mafolie in St. Thomas...we loved it there!
melwill530

Try Hotel 1829 also

Post by melwill530 »

The Hotel 1829 is nice and within walking distance to the shops in Charlotte Amalie.

http://www.hotel1829.com/index.htm
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

We stayed at Miller Manor-nice place, great hosts. Walking distance to shops in downtown CA and restaurantes in Frenchtown, Lovely view of the harbor.

info@millermanor.com
grandpainin

Post by grandpainin »

We vote for Mafolie as well, the food is fantastic.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

The Green Iguana is a great plce to stay for one night on St Thomas. We've stayed there a couple times.

It's pretty much at the top of the 99 steps right into Charlotte Amalie. Great walk down but can be a tough walk back up- taxi can take you back up if you're not up for it. We did it, took a break near the top, and we're not what most people would consider "in shape" :).

Also, for a few bucks, they'll pack all you and your luggage and take you to the ferry dock to meet your STJ ferry.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have always stayed at the Emerald Beach. No, it is not within walking distance of the shopping, but it is a short taxi ride. It is also on a very good beach. 8) If the guys want to sit on the beach with their toes in the water and their ass in the sand, this works. :wink: The bar is about 10 or 12 paces away. :D The snorkling to the left side is pretty good. We've seen lobsters and signs of octopi. :shock: It's also a short taxi ride from the airport and CA feery.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....