Question Re Proper Island Greeting

Travel discussion for St. John
Chickadee

Question Re Proper Island Greeting

Post by Chickadee »

I know it is always best to start a conversation with Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening and I try hard to remember that (and think it's quite a nice custom).

The part where you lose me on the custom is the dead air that follows.

Stateside, I would expect my interaction (at say a shop) to go like this: (Me) Good Morning! (Attendant) Good Morning! How can I help you? or Good Morning! How are you today? (Me) I am well, thank you, how are you? (Attendant) Good thanks. How can I help you? (Me) I wonder if you can help me find....

On Island it goes more like this: (Me) Good Morning!..... dead air...... Um, how are you today?.... more dead air.... I am wondering if you can help me find...

Sometimes I feel like I'm maybe just not waiting long enough for that initial response (lack of Island Time rhythm?).

Thoughs, especially from locals?
Jennifer

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Both on island and home...
-Good morning, how are you today?
+Doing well, and yourself?
-I am fine, enjoying this wonderful weather.
+Me too although we could use some rain......
.....5 minutes of weather (or whatever) discussion later...
-could you help me find.....
-Thank you so much. Enjoy your day.

I guess that I don't difficulties with "island ettiquette" as the "rules" are pretty much the same where I am from. Courtesy begets courtesy.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Well put, Toes!
Also, as I've read before, try to avoid saying "excuse/pardon me" when trying to capture a locals' attention. That's evidently misconstrued as being rude, even if you have the best intentions.
Smiles-
MJ
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

"Good Night" is the appropriate term instead of "Evening"

Also, I generally find that folks are waiting to see if you're going to rush into anything.

Just be patient.

A sure bet for me: "Good morning/afternoon/night" followed by a brilliant smile. That usually takes the edge off.

Also discussing the weather is a good option.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Jennifer - I had similar experiences in November. I was so surprised at how many shops I visited - said a very pleasant "Good XXX" and smiled - and got no response from the shop keeper. Needless to say, I took my business elsewhere.
janet
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

I find that like anywhere else - making a connection depends on both parties. Everytime we've been in Dolphin, my brother starts some good-natured picking on me, brother/sister stuff. EVERY TIME - the clerk started laughing and asking me if I wanted him thrown out! Obviously - she was someone's sister! I guess I just don't overthink it alot.
cwaver

just wondering

Post by cwaver »

I've been visiting these islands since 1992. almost every year . Sometimes twice a year. Been saying "good morning/afternoon/evening till I was blue in the face.
Sometimes a get a positive response . And sometimes an attitude. Do you think they will ever have a program instucting the locals on how to be nice to us?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Do many people on this forum think that there should be a -- " program instructing the locals on how to be nice to us" -- somehow this statement just doesn't ring true to me.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I find folks are folks, and it doesn't matter where you go. If I go in a shop on STJ or Paris, I'm always friendly, as that is my general nature. If I say good day, good afternoon, good night, or hi-how-r-u, I get a better response being my true Texas self...genuine and true to me, and always respectful. If I tell myself to walk in the door and say "good afternoon", and "hi, how are you, ya havin' a nice day?" comes out, I almost always get a very friendly response. I don't think my exact words are as important as my true emotions and respect.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Exit Zero wrote:Do many people on this forum think that there should be a -- " program instructing the locals on how to be nice to us" -- somehow this statement just doesn't ring true to me.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That really couldn't have been a serious question...
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Margy Z

Re: just wondering

Post by Margy Z »

cwaver wrote:I've been visiting these islands since 1992. almost every year . Sometimes twice a year. Been saying "good morning/afternoon/evening till I was blue in the face.
Sometimes a get a positive response . And sometimes an attitude. Do you think they will ever have a program instucting the locals on how to be nice to us?
You're kidding, right?????
equinox

Post by equinox »

I was a little disappointed on my recent trip. I had my best island manners and I did not think it helped all that much. I'm not saying the people on St. John were un-friendly, but they were not especially friendly, either. They were normal, just like everywhere else. This good morning...etc. is not a magic bullet. Do it because it is the custom, but don't expect any special response :wink:
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Exit Zero wrote:Do many people on this forum think that there should be a -- " program instructing the locals on how to be nice to us" -- somehow this statement just doesn't ring true to me.
The island needs tourist dollars, no?

Does your income depend on tourist dollars?

I would imagine just about anyone that has a job down there does unless you work via the web.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Ok, after thinking about this. Yes, there are lots of times people don't start just chatting away when I say "good morning". There are also times here in Charlotte where I talk to a clerk and be friendly and they look at me like I am an alien.

It is not just about courtesy. If someone returns my "good morning" with "good morning"--that is being polite. They have fulfilled their social "obligation" in my opinion.

If they don't launch into a conversation...well maybe they don't know what to say either. Or maybe they don't like chatting it up with everyone who comes by. Or their personality just isn't that way. I think most island people are probably pretty modest.

People from the islands can be shy too. Just 'cause they don't act like a person from the Sandals commercials doesn't mean they are being rude.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

equinox wrote:I was a little disappointed on my recent trip. I had my best island manners and I did not think it helped all that much. I'm not saying the people on St. John were un-friendly, but they were not especially friendly, either. They were normal, just like everywhere else. This good morning...etc. is not a magic bullet. Do it because it is the custom, but don't expect any special response :wink:
This has been our experience, as well, though we've only been to St. John twice. In general, I'd say the reception was generally not as friendly as in our small town in Western NY. If we don't elicit a conversational response to our "good morning, how are you today?" we just get on with business, just like here at home, when we enounter someone having a bad day.
ALWAYS been treated super friendly by the folks at the grocery store near Conrad Sutton's, Candi's Ribs, St. John Hardware, St. John Spice, Courtesy Car Rental, Miss Vie's, and the Tourist Trap. They must hire extra-cheerful folks!