Help Dealing with Villa Guests

Travel discussion for St. John
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

mindehankins wrote:Oy vay! I guess I'd have a great day with them tomorrow, and when the day is over, approach the person who made the deposits, etc, and ask how he'd like to "take care of the extra charges for the extra person."
Terrible of them to put you in that spot! Could it be a friend from STT who's just staying a nite and/or going on a day trip with them?
Ditto, I think this suggestion is a good one, low key, but to the point.

Come to think of it I may have violated this rule once. Once at the last minute one of the group had to bring along her 8 year old. He put us over the limit and we frankly never thought to say anything about it. The villa did not prohibit children though. I don't think he actually showered just stayed in the pool until he was all prunny. :-)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am quite interested in hearing how this all plays out.

I would never dream of sneaking an extra adult/teen into a rental house, I just wouldn't. To me it is almost stealing as every rental I have looked at clearly gives prices based on occupancy as well as max. occupancy.

I do, however, think that plenty of people wouldn't see the harm.

There is a couple in our group of friends that keeps bringing up wanting to join us on a future trip. The guy couldn't wrap his head around the fact that his late hs/college aged kids needed their own room and couldn't, as he put it, just sleep where ever, as to avoid including them in the headcount/cost.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

You've gotten some good advice here; I like the low key approach and the very honest discussion about the costs of maintaining the property (especially electric and water.)

This is probably a conversation to have one on one with the organizer. If they say this extra person is staying somewhere else, it's fair to ask where.

I'm sorry you're in this awkward position. Please keep us posted.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I think that Gromit was saying the same thing that one of my former employers used to tell us. "You can win the battle and lose the war." The inference in this case being that you could get your $280 and pay for it big time later and for a long time.

I think you will get a better feeling for what to do during the sail. Let's hope they are bringing someone else who is not staying in your house.

BTW, my wife and her SOTB friends enjoyed their trip with you a couple of months ago.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

jimg20 wrote:I think that Gromit was saying the same thing that one of my former employers used to tell us. "You can win the battle and lose the war." The inference in this case being that you could get your $280 and pay for it big time later and for a long time.

I think you will get a better feeling for what to do during the sail. Let's hope they are bringing someone else who is not staying in your house.

BTW, my wife and her SOTB friends enjoyed their trip with you a couple of months ago.

JIM
I also vote let it pass, all you will do is get your blood pressure up
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Is there an internet connection at the house? I wonder if your guests read this forum.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

@Ruth-- If they do...

Gromit says:

"Be the cool people you have the potential to be and admit that you are wrong. Pay the man what you owe him and be nice about it!"
*Another fine scatterbrained production
StJohnStyle

Post by StJohnStyle »

hummm, I wouldn't think of debating this on the world wide web while the guests are next door and haven't been confronted, esp. over $280.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Personally, the risk would not be worth the $280 to me. I do empathize with the expense of maintaining a home on island and I agree it is wrong to "sneak" an extra person in. That said, neither would factor into my decision.

The fact that you are not absolutely positive that they have indeed snuck the extra person in and that you are non-confrontational by nature, I'd say it is not worth the stress. Especially since it isn't cut and dry and will require an accusation of wrong-doing on your part which by its very nature will be uncomfortable and unlikely to end nicely.

Add to that the potential damage 13 disgruntled (justifiably or not) individuals could do to BOTH of your income generators (the house rental and the boat charters) would make it an easy decision for me.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

I have to agree with Liamsaunt here. If you don't know for sure at this point I'd bring it up on the boat that you own the house and see how it works out. Seems like everytime I make an assumption it bites me. Good luck.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I definitely would raise the issue while out on the boat...in the middle of nowhere. At that point you have what in my business we call "leverage."
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Chris

Post by Chris »

Pretty much ditto what Liamsaunt said. Why would you not let it be known that you own the house? It might look like you're the one (also) being sneaky. Let it be known and then give them a second chance to take the high road and come clean. Maybe they've "been meaning to call". If they don't, you can take the lead person aside (after the boat trip) and have a heart to heart with him/her. If they don't pay up, you're no worse off and if the conversation doesn't turn ugly, you'll at least get props for being a gentleman about it.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

one last time
let it pass, all you will do is get your blood pressure up

life is to short is $280 going to change your life

if they were good people you would have been paid
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I'm with Ruth, wonder if they are reading this, we're everywhere ya know.
Ya gonna get a real good feel for the situation on the boat trip, good luck hope it works out ok things usually do. If ya get a bad feeling eat the $280 cause 13 pissed off people can do a heck of alot more damage to your business than the $280, even if you are in the right.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

wow shoemak38 - ever been in business for yourself?

$280 may not seem like much to you guys, but think about it - this is his livelihood - suppose this happened each time he rented the villa - adds up quick - policies are set for a reason. I hope he is able to collect if indeed this extra person did stay at his villa.