a fond memory revisited and drink named - St. John Champagne

Travel discussion for St. John
SoulvilleUSA

a fond memory revisited and drink named - St. John Champagne

Post by SoulvilleUSA »

I was at a cabin in the woods a couple weeks ago and I came across a bottle of Cruzan dark rum and some Ginger Ale (Canada Dry). This Spring, our first night on the island, we got in late and had just enough time to grab a couple bottles of Cruzan, but we forgot to get mixers. I found a drink machine, but the only thing we wanted out of it was Ginger Ale..... which mixes quite well with the dark rum.

Well, I poured myself a nice tall one at the cabin here recently and it took me back to the warm breezes and sunny days immediately. I have decided to call it "St. John Champagne"

I'm sure someone else has put the two together, but it was a new drink for me... and if it doesn't have a name, I'm proposing one.

Thoughts?
Green tunnels and no stop signs

Sterling
Cruzan Chris

Post by Cruzan Chris »

RUMPAGNE Anyone ??
"St.John,always in our hearts,minds,and souls"
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

There is nothing wrong with you referring to your drink as a St John Champagne but when your amongst strangers you might want to refer to it as a Darn N' Stormy. If you Wiki Darn N' Stormy you'll get all the particulars.

As much any of us might like to think we invented a new drink while we where scrounging around on the Island, most of the ingredients have been around longer than we have and so have thirsts. My strategy has always been to say "we call it a blah, blah but I''m sure it has another name." And most of the time it does.

By the way, it is a great drink. Every dark rum is unique and different from the others. Meyers, Goslings, Cruzan and Pussers all have their own special flavor and take us back immediately to the time we first tasted them. So on second thought the original Darn N' Stormy was made with Goslings from Bermuda, your St John Champagne is with Cruzan. Enough difference to say so.

Sorry for rambling on so. It is a long time and a hard winter between now and the end March when we'll be back on Island.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

That's DARK n' Stormy. Darn cut and paste.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Oh yes, that's a Dark & Stormy!! We have used Cruzan Dark and Vernor's or Canada Dry a few times when we were out of Goslings and Barritt's Ginger Beer. Another great mixer is Ale 8 One from Winchester, Ky - a really spicy ginger ale similar to Barritt's Ginger Beer!! I got hooked on these last year on STJ and they are a helluva lot cheaper than juice drinks, for sure!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Whatever you call it, that's our new favorite! Cheers~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]