Just when you think things can't get any worse......

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mcdomzal

Just when you think things can't get any worse......

Post by mcdomzal »

Just an update for you kind forumites who expressed love and concern for my sister and me.

I wish I had better news to report. Ann's health continues to dteriorate at an alarming rate. She is now unable to eat solid foods as a tumor is pressing on the nerve(s) that control her tongue/swallowing. She is drinking Ensure and trying to liquify foods but has lost 10 pounds in the last week and a half. My sis is 5'7" and about 125 pounds so she obviously doesn't have 10 pounds to lose.

We are all very frustrated with her docs in Iowa who seem to be just treating symptoms as they appear and not trying to do anything to slow the spread of the cancer. Although we all realize that this may be a losing battle, it's a battle that Ann wants to fight.

Therefore, she has contacted the Cancer Treatment Center of America here in IL and will be heading there next week for a consultation. For those of you not familiar with them, they offer cutting edge alternative treatments, as well as conventional therapies. Through connections I have at my church I think we'll be able to arrange a flight for her through "Angel Flight" as she could never handle the 3 hour drive.

Add to this the fact that my father also seems to be declining at an increasing rate and is exhibiting the beginning signs of Alzheimer's( which runs in his family) and the fact that my husband is now unemployed and to say that this is the most stressful time my family has ever faced would be a tremendous understatement. Thus the title of my post.....

I thank God that we were able to take our wonderful trip to STJ before this all started. I draw on those memories often to help get through the day.

Thanks for letting me vent...
Meg
MCDomzal
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Meg -

I am so sorry for all that you and your family are going through. I wish there was more we could do for you from afar, but I hope you know that I am thinking of you and praying for your sister, dad and now the hubby.

I, too, am so happy you have the memories from your recent trip and that you were able to go before all these terrible things started happening. I know I was very happy to get the chance to meet you.

If I can help you in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Tracy
loria

Post by loria »

oh damn Meg, I hope that your trip to the CCA brings something positive your way-You're in my prayers-

Lori
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lprof

Post by lprof »

Meg, I am so sorry for this heavy load of stress and sadness that you are carrying...sending thoughts of strength for you, comfort and encouragement for your sister, may she find more forces siding with her in her battle. Your husband and father are in my thoughts as well. Blessings to this family...
... no longer a stranger to paradise
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Meg, I add my prayers to the ones that everyone else has posted in support of you and your family. Just keep coming here to vent... we're here for you!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Meg....I don't even know what to say. I was thinking about you and your sister this past week. I'm so sorry for all the pain you and your family are going through. I will keep you all in my prayers. God bless.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I am SO sorry too and I will pray for your family.
byado18

Post by byado18 »

My thoughts and prayers are with you all -- for courage, strength, patience, belief and love.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Oh Meg, it is so hard for me to imagine this happening to your beautiful family. Please know I am pulling for you all! Lots of good thoughts and warm vibes coming your way!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Why does it always seem bad things come in bunches. Hang in there. You seem to have the been given the role of the keeping it all togehter. Stay strong and know that those close to you will appreciate any help you can muster. [/quote]
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Nothing to say but I am sorry for your pain. I hope life can bring you and your family some sweetness. Best wishes sent your way...
Cid

Post by Cid »

Sorry to hear that things are going so rough for you. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Ugh. I'm so sorry that so many things have made difficult turns lately and hope that your family finds the love and strength to persevere.
Jennifer

LMG

Post by LMG »

So sorry your family is going through all this at once, Meg. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Wow, you are really having it rough right now. I'll keep your sister in my thoughts and hope that she has good assistance from the new center. Best wishes to you and your family...
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.