moving to islands -visiting in next couple of months

Travel discussion for St. John
IslandGroove4me

moving to islands -visiting in next couple of months

Post by IslandGroove4me »

whassup island folks, i am looking at visiting the islands sometime in the next 2 months -looking for a place to stay, employment, etc. it has always been my dream to live in the tropics and i would prefer it to be u.s. territory; hence puerto rico or usvi - i have been studying up/reading, etc for several years, but nothing's like hearin it firsthand. so what would some of your suggestions be? there have been several changes in my life in last 12 months which have given me this exciting opportunity - before now it was really just a dream; now it can be a reality. have managed a resort in northwest alabama for the last 6 years but have other mgmt experience also. i am really appreciative of any tips you guys can offer. thanks! marcus
"Give me island life...
...or give me island life"
mullins
Pia

Post by Pia »

I suggest you go to this forum but read all of the archives first before you post a question :)

Good luck

Pia

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/list.php?4
IslandGroove4me

thank you pia, will ck it out !
"Give me island life...
mullins
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
IslandGroove4me

tks 2 both of u

thanks to u both. i am currently checking out that forum just as you mentioned. if you DO know of anyone who may can put me on the fast track (apt/rm rental, jobs, etc), that'd be great. As the dates i'm interested in coming down get closer, airfare is going up every time i check. again, thanks a bunch!
marcus
"Give me island life...
mullins
bert

Post by bert »

You can rent a one-room shed in Coral Bay for $600 per month. You can make $15 per hour doing general labor, make $50 extra per night bussing or waiting. You need wheels and food, and what else? Therein lies the rub. If the math works out, come on down!

peace.... bert
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

You can always try the Maho Bay work exchange program: http://www.maho.org/WorkPrograms.cfm.

nothintolose
IslandGroove4me

tks bert and nuttin2lose

i AM coming down - it will be may most likely. perhaps things will fall into place by then. tks again. marcus
"Give me island life...
mullins
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you plan to arrive in May, be sure that you are prepared for things to slow down a few months after you arrive. August, September, and October can be very quiet with many restaurants closing for a month or so and the tourist population dropping off.

Don't be too proud to take a job that may seem below your current status. I went from running a large office to serving breakfast at a small restaurant. I moved with enough money to live for 4 months. I factored in rent, food, etc and made sure that if I could not find a job right away, I would not starve.

I really suggest that you take a trip to visit before you move. You also didn't say what island you were looking to move to. The islands of the USVI are all very different.

If you are looking at STJ, please feel free to send me a PM.
IslandGroove4me

thanks - looking at the entire month of may for st thomas, but willing to explore both st john and st croix, i would prob say in this order: st thomas, st croix, then st john -from my research. but i'm not ruling out p rico (or even dom republic, altho i know its not u.s. -but it has vast hotel/resort possibilities). unless i should be so fortunate as to find potential employment prior to arriving, it's likely i'd rent a room/efficieny for a month, ck out the various islands from there, hop over to p rico for a few days/week and just see what transpires. i am finding great info on the vimoving forums. thanks to all for great tips and info
"Give me island life...
mullins