smoking question

Travel discussion for St. John
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

>>Jumping back to add - the villa we rented was a "no smoking on the property" even outside villa, which is a rule the greeter told us we did not need to be concerned about.<<

Reading the above, what immediately jumped out at me is that the 'greeter' is not the villa owner who owns the property and sets the policy nor the rental management co. owner who has to deal with the next guests who may complain of a smokey smell and want to be moved. Good greeters are often very sociable, people-pleasers, who want to start out their guests' stay pleasantly (& perhaps want to ensure a trip). I would pay more attention to what the owner/management states than what a greeter says.

I do agree with all the previous postings that interpret a 'smoke-free villa' as not smoking IN the house but ok to smoke on the property away from the house, not near open windows/doors, and making sure to put butts out and stored appropriately (not in the house) until you can put them in the public dumpster. Smoke-free property is indeed another thing. Personally, we hadn't yet encountered that at any of the villas or condos we've rented.

While I have smoked off-and-on in the past, I've never done so inside because personally I hate the smell of stale smoke that seems to hang on forever. In fact, a couple hotel rooms we've stayed in smelled of smoke and both times we've asked to be moved.
bert

Post by bert »

Most villas with a no smoking policy allow smoking on open decks or outside. We always recommend that you use a "wet ashtray" because of the winds that blow everything out of a regular old ashtray. Use a wide-mouth bottle (propel, gatorade, etc.), fill 1/2 with water, and drop your butts and ashes in there. Then screw on the top. Throw the whole nasty thing away when you leave. It's better than picking the butts out of the potted plants & cracks in the decks.

peace.... bert