Bug spray with DEET - Gromit?

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Yo Cid! Bugs love me, I've tried everything. 30 days of camping in Costa Rican rainforest and Skin so soft saved my hide, until everyone started borrowing it and I ran out! Burt's Bees makes a good product too. Just saying, why not try out the ones that aren't neurotoxins! Oh well, maybe Deet's already done a number on you! :wink:
JC

Post by JC »

100% Deet. Nuff said.

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
Cid

Post by Cid »

I like that excuse...it wasn't all the partying in the 80's. It was the Deet! Yeah that's the ticket...the Deet! :lol:
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

No worries--

I think I was fairly clear and straightforward about the potential risk vs. benefit. That's why I posted ALL of the links so that folks can make an informed decision for themselves.

The other stuff simply does not work for me -- at least on island -- and I've tried just about everything.

Believe me, I prefer the smell of skin so soft etc and for the critters here at home those prods work just fine.

But as I and others have inidicated this is simply our informed preference.

I weigh the potential risks with the risks of getting say.. dengue fever, west nile virus or some other mosquito borne illness and I'll stick with the DEET thankyouverymuch.

This is especially critical for those of us who are highly sensitve to mosquito bites-- mine swell up to about saucer size, become hot to the touch and very red. It can also trigger allergic reaction and asthma for me.

So again, I prefer to avoid that. If my kids end up having 15 toes and three eyeballs so be it.

I, too, am fairly environmentally conscious but for me there is no trade off on this issue.

No worries.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PoweredBySoy

Post by PoweredBySoy »

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but if you do decide to go with a high concentration of Deet (it's the only way to go in my opinion) just be careful around expensive plastics, such as raincoats or tents, as Deet can easily melt plastic.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I have usually been lucky and the bugs don't like me...they chew on my hubby instead. As adults we use deet as needed, in moderation --- only on STJ. I've never needed anything that high test around VA.

Unfortunately, I just can't make myself put that stuff on my little ones. Last trip the bugs were HIDEOUS and no amount of bugspray kept them off my little girl. They were biting her through her terrycloth swim cover up! Luckily it only lasted 2 days.

Over the summer, I discovered the Burts Bees product and it seemed to work around here. I'll be taking it with us to STJ to give it a test.

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1

Coppertone used to make (maybe they still do but I have a hard time finding it) combination Kids Bug and Sunscreen that worked well.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

gromit and flip flop, thank you for your informative responses! Believe me, if my bites, or a loved one's bites, were as bad as you describe we'd probably be DEET fans too! Having asked about this you just know that my next trip will be bug jinxed. Anyway, thanks again, I get it.