Fish trap

Travel discussion for St. John
sunlover

Fish trap

Post by sunlover »

Anyone eat at the fish trap lately? I'm intrigued by the new additions to the menu, and the fact that Aaron Willis is (purportedly) back. We ate there a few years ago, and it was just okay, but I'm willing to give it another shot.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

From what I heard when I was there in July Aaron is the owner/operator again. I always thought anything he did was good to great - I would give it a shot.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We ate there right afte Aaron re-opened in June and it was very good. We had dinner there the first night and went back for appetizers on our last night.
I would not rank it up with Stone Terrace, but it was a very good meal and we will go back next year.

My very good friend, Sharon, is a server there. Tell her that Dominica sent you!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

I agree with XIG and Anthony. We ate there July 2007 and it was good, but not great. We returned this past July and thought it was much improved. I don't recall what we ordered, except I know it was seafood and it was well prepared and the portions were decent. I do remember having a lime-n-coconut or maybe two. :D

Our waiter's name was Wade and when he introduced himself, the first thing bayer and I thought of was On-STJ's Wade the Shark. We thought it was a funny coincident, but didn't mention it to him. I wish I had said something, because we founnd out the next night that he's Wade the Shark's namesake. So, if anyone else gets Wade the waiter, you'll know. :)
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

Aaron is just back from vacation and second the opinion that whatever he does is good to great. At Fishtrap I either go low end with fish & chips or something or skip the menu and go to the specials list. The specials list almost always has something that appeals to me & its usually great. Lots of people do the menu but I don't do a lot of fish so when I go to Fishtrap I prefer to, well, have fish!
Eric on St John
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I recall that the Fish Trap was also opening up a little seafood direct sale operation so that you could buy the fresh fish and take it home to prepare on your own. IS Aaron still doing this?
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

yes the seafood store is still going
Eric on St John
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Fish Trap is improved. I've been in a couple of times and it's been good...not Stone Terrace, but "solid". They are doing the seafood market still, but they are doing it out of the restaurant now. One of my favorite people on island works at Fish Trap on Tuesday and Saturday, Boo... so if you go, tell her I say hi (and don't forget to tip here really big :D )
notahippie

Fish Trap Recent

Post by notahippie »

My wife and I ate there just last week. The food was good. Not great, but not bad. Service was as expected, but the Key Lime tart was awesome :P

The Fish Trap store, however, is not in operation due to the increased cost for electricity in the VI. Word is they will still sell fresh fish from the restaurant, but not the store.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

So we can actually purchase fresh seafood IN the restaurant to take back to the villa? Thats GREAT to know...thanks for the tip!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm in charge of fish taco night, so I sure hope I can grab some fish there...
Below H20

Post by Below H20 »

I would recomend to look at your bill closely if you eat there. We were there twice in June were overcharged both times....$35 to $50. Would'nt eat there again found it too much of a coincidence and the food wasn't much to talk about.
BeachMan

Post by BeachMan »

The wife and I ate there on Oct 2nd. I had the Mahi Mahi and she had Tuna. I thought my food was very good but she said hers was so-so. Service was fine...business was sloooowwwww.