The characters we met tour Part 1

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
STTlover

The characters we met tour Part 1

Post by STTlover »

The Characters We Met Tour 2011 Day 1 &2:

Just returned from 6 wonderful days w/ three of my best girlfriends in ST.Thomas. We ditched the husbands/boyfriends for this trip and had a blast relaxing and having fun on the beach. This was a vacation to mark a few milestones, two of us will turn 30 this year, one will be finalizing a divorce, and one will be trying to start a family, so in a way it was good bye to one chapter and hello to a new one in all our lives. This report will be light on pictures as my camera decided it would only hold a charge for 4 pictures at a time.(':(')

Sunday, May 29th, Travel Day: Two of us traveled the night before from Western MA to Peabody MA where one of our fellow travelers lives to spend the night before wheels up. We were up at 3:45am, and my girlfriend’s husband drove us to Logan where we met up w/ our other friend and caught our 6:30am flight to Philly. Got to Philly no problem and saddled up to the bar at Chicky and Phils for a couple bloody marys and mimosas. Hey it was Sunday morning, so what that we started drinking at 8:00am. We finished our drinks and headed to our gate, where they proceeded to announce that we had a gate change and now had to run over to terminal A from terminal C. For anyone who knows the Philly airport, it’s like a mile away. So we finally get there and there is no plane yet, it’s 9:25 and our flight is scheduled to leave at 9:45. Finally at 10 the plane comes in. We are finally in the air around 11. We get to STT around 2:45. Love the feeling of stepping off the plane and feeling that wonderful humid tropical air hitting you in the face, I was home! We each took 2 rum shots when we hit the baggage claim, we were on vacation! I called Dependable to come get us and I kid you not we had our bags w/in 10mins of de-boarding the plane, that must be some kind of record. The lady who picked us up was the first character we met this trip. She was a hoot. Told us all kinds of stories on our way to the office. We loved her. After the paper work we were off. Made a quick stop at the Food Center for provisions. I think they thought we had to be alcoholics with the amount of booze/beer/twisted teas we bought, hey we were on vacation. We got to my parents villa at Sapphire and unpacked in record time then went out to the pool with cocktails in hand to relax. We moved to the beach right before sunset to take in the last few minutes of sunlight, and then headed in to shower and get ready for dinner. My first night tradition is always getting dinner at Island Time Pub in Red Hook. Love this place, great vibe and wonderful pizza and sandwiches. We enjoyed a couple pizzas, and of course cocktails, and decided to call it a night around 10. We were pooped!

Monday, May 30th: We decided that today would be our ST.John Beach day. We were up, got the cooler loaded and out the door by 9:10 to catch the 9:30 car ferry in Red Hook.

After getting off the Ferry, we made a quick stop at Deli Grotto for some sandwiches. Then we hit the north shore road on to our destination, Maho! In the 10+ years I have been visting STT & STJ, I have never been to Maho, I know I can’t believe it either, so I was very excited to go! Got a great parking spot, and set up our camp. We are beach/sun lovers so we spent the whole day soaking up the sun and swimming in the water. We absolutely loved this beach. Image

We did some snorkeling and swam w/ two turtles(a first), swam through a conch field that was littered w/ starfish that were at least 1 ft wide. It was a great day. Around 2:30 we packed it up and got back on the road and headed to Cinnamon to use the showers and change into some fresh clothes. We then headed back to Mongoose and saddled up to the bar at the Gecko Gazebo for a few libations. This is where we met another character. His name escapes me, but I think it’s Clive, anyway he maintains a bunch of the Villa’s on island and also works in upstate NY. He again was such a nice man and had some great stories to tell, we enjoyed our conversation with him. It was time to go as we needed to catch the 5:30 ferry back. Back at the villa, I cooked dinner for the girls. Marinated grilled chicken breast with risotto and grilled asparagus that we bough at Marina Market that morning. It was delicious. The plan was to get showered and go out in Red Hook. The previous travel day hit me and I could not keep my eyes open, so I bowed out and the other girls took a taxi in. They met a bunch of interesting characters at their time at Duffy’s, Big Bambooz, and Caribbean Saloon as usual. They came back giggling around 12am and headed straight to bed.

Tomorrow would be a pool/beach day at Sapphire.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

SO far, so good! Sounds like fun - I did an all girl's trip last year and it was such a great time (although we have 10+ years on all of you!). I look forward to the rest of your report.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Connie

Post by Connie »

Sounds like it's going to be a good trip so far!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"