Final report of our trip

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
austinill

Final report of our trip

Post by austinill »

Well, we are on our flight home so I thought I’d finish up our trip reports. Hope you enjoyed parts 1 & 2. I think it is essential that all who follow these forums give a report, no matter how brief or long, on some part of what they enjoyed so others may learn. You have to give it away to keep it, my friends.

Monday thru Wednesday were some of the most beautiful days on the island. You could literally see to the end of the sea. St. Croix homes were in sight as well as the islands near Puerto Rico. It was an awesome couple of days weather wise and we took advantage of that. A little too much, I’m afraid. If I were a steak, my shoulders would be considered medium well. The sun is very intense at times and I burned a little despite lots of SPF 50.

We returned to Havensight and port authority to Local Color, a shop of women’s clothes. The young ladies who waited on us were awesome and the wife found some nice buys. We ventured across the street to Hooters for appetizers and dessert. I was forewarned that the service may be a little slow but it is quite understandable. Those poor lasses are so poor that they can hardly afford any clothing and if they are malnourished as well, then they probably are too cold and don’t have the strength to move very fast. J Actually, our waitress was very nice but the food wasn’t up to the standards set by others on the island. You may find this hard to believe, but that was our first ever trip to Hooters.

We ate at Grand Cru our last lunch. It is in Yacht Haven Grande. The wife loved here spinach salad with shrimp and my chicken club sandwich was very good. I chose the cole slaw over those awful, dry sea salt chips they serve on the island and the slaw was fantastic. I was a little put out with the bill of $40 that included two $4 glasses of tea. Wow! A little shell shocked on that, but it is STT.

A couple things that I find interesting about STT. The jewelry stores are all owned by middle eastern folks as are most of the grocery stores on this island. That is not a bad thing, just struck me as a little odd. Second, why do so many people hang around the grocery store and mall entrances? Are they waiting for shuttles or is that just a local gathering place like our coffee shops back home?

One piece of advice I learned on a forum and I will share with you again. If you came to this island to relax, then you came to the right place. Because no one, I repeat NO ONE is in a hurry on this island. So don’t get upset when someone stops their car ahead of you to shake a neighbor’s hand; or when your waitress seems to be rather slow serving you; or when the clerk behind the counter seems preoccupied. RELAX! It’s the way of life on St Thomas and frankly, I kind of liked it. Correction, I loved it.

Ciao’ friends.

Gregg
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

That relaxation mode is exactly why I am still here and cannot take a stateside visit for too long.
toni

Post by toni »

thanks again for all the reports; i too wish that more people would post and let others know what they liked or disliked. enjoyed your steak analogy and your hooters comments :) we've stayed on stt for one/two nights at a time pre/post stj visits-i think i need to try it out for a longer time.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Great report! Relaxation is the name of the game! Thanks so much!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Thanks again, really enjoyed this! So, the question for you now is, when do you head back? :wink:
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Nice report...I actually thought you'd pay more for that lunch you had than the $40 you did in a place called Yacht Haven Grande :lol:. Funny visual you created in Hooters...haven't been to one ever either so I can only imagine. :lol: We usually don't venture into town often and are not shoppers so your observations were interesting to note. Glad you had some great weather!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!