Hey, the Rain Tree at Cinnamon made it!

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Hey, the Rain Tree at Cinnamon made it!

Post by Coconuts »

I had been concerned about that. Happy news!

Much closer to home, our Flamboyant, Mangoes (Julie included), Bay Rum, Calabash, and Mampoo are still standing, at least from from photos we have seen. They have no leaves, but we expect that this will only be a matter of time. Jenn, over at News of St. John, has a great photo comparison (http://newsofstjohn.com/2017/10/12/pict ... after-irma) showing the dramatic greening out between four and twenty-seven days after Irma. That is not to minimize the potentially dramatic and long-term landscape changes due to toppled trees that will simply have to be removed.

All this talk of landscape does overlook the enormous toll that the storm has taken on people's homes and occupations. Our hearts go out to everyone in the USVI and the BVI who were impacted by the catastrophe that was Irma, and for those on St. Croix, Maria. Many wood frame homes and businesses are now little more than debris fields.

Our villas did sustain damage, but mostly in exterior areas. All of our living space roofs held firm. I head down late next week for ten days to organize our reconstruction, and prepare lists of items to get on order and ship down. We have always been a bit perfectionistic when it comes to our guest experiences, and the damage that Irma caused is painful to confront. We will barrel through it, though, and emerge even better than before.

All the best,

Kevin
hoosierdaddy

Re: Hey, the Rain Tree at Cinnamon made it!

Post by hoosierdaddy »

That is great to hear! We had lunch under that tree back in March.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Mixed emotions seeing Jenn's photos... Happy seeing the greening out but still so sad to see all the damage. Prayers continue...

Safe travels and wishing you all the best with the reconstruction of your villas. I have had Coconuts, and Plumeria, on my list of villas for future visits.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We were talking about this amazing tree a few weeks ago and wondered if it survived. Thank you for posting this!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Image[/url]
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

It is nice to see the video of the tree. It makes me wonder if my favorite palm trees on Soloman make it through the storm?