Missing in action

Travel discussion for St. John
awardb

Missing in action

Post by awardb »

Hello, all

I need some assistance from some of the long-time forum members with a unique problem that we've encountered. We've booked our 9th trip to STJ, to the same villa we rented last year. Paid our deposit in February, and now our balance is due. Problem is, the rental management company appears to be missing in action. We cannot raise them by email or phone. So I'm asking whether anyone that's currently renting one of their villas or lives on the rock and knows something can help. They seem to have gone radio silent, which is worrisome, to say the least. This company, which we worked with last year, was just SO nice at that time, and very professional.
Now, we just don't know. They manage about 10 very popular villas, so we're very confused as to what is going on.

The villa we're set up to rent is Kia Ora, and the company is Private Homes VI, which represents a bunch of the popular villas (Sea Turtle, Altamira, Tree Tops, and Tree House, among others).

So if anyone knows anything, or has alternate contact info, we'd love to hear from you!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
stjohnjulie

Re: Missing in action

Post by stjohnjulie »

I don't have any specific knowledge of what is happening with this business, but I CAN tell you that the phones and internet have been 'out' for a lot of people. There was a recent merger between Innovative (telephone, cable, internet) and Choice (internet), and it's had it's issues. On top of that, WAPA has been going in and out and some brown outs and that just fries things. Last week I lost my work computer, yesterday I lost my APC back up battery! What I'm trying to say is keep trying. There is a chance they are just having some technical difficulties and since we are where we are, they usually take longer to rectify.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

We are on island right now and are renting from Private Homes. All is good with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
awardb

Post by awardb »

Thank you both, that helps. Still, I am concerned. Phone/Internet problems or not, we've now left 7 or 8 messages via phone, email and Facebook, and no response at all. TrvlJohn, may I PM you to ask when you checked in to your rental and when you last talked to them or saw them? Thanks to all so far, any other info is appreciated!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

And if it doesn't seem to awkward , maybe TrvlJohn could let them know you are trying to contact them . :)

Good Luck !
Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
awardb

Post by awardb »

That's sorta what I was hoping, since I've just about exhausted every method of contacting the rental management company. Thanks!
AwardB
awardb

Post by awardb »

All is well that ends well! Finally got a return call from Private Homes Private Vacations, and indeed, as the first poster pointed out, it was the entire Internet/Phone mess that caused us to not be able to contact them about our August rental. We've now been in contact, all is good, so thanks to all that posted a response, and a special thanks to the owner of Tree Tops that PM'ed me to give us another number to contact the management company. :D
AwardB
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Yeaaaa !! :D
" I believe there's Magic here...."
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

All' s well that ends well. Glad that everything worked out. The people on this forum are very helpful. See you in August.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Great to hear. you can rest well now. I know there are shady people everywhere but in our 6 trips to St. John I cannot remember anyone trying to cheat us. It is one of the great qualities of the island.
awardb

Post by awardb »

That's what we kept thinking, too. This is STJ, we've always felt safe and never worried about people taking advantage of us. But after 7+ days and no return call, no email, nothin', we began to worry. However, on STJ, when things go down or get fouled up (in this case Internet and phone both), they can *really* get fouled up. It's all good now, we're looking forward to Kia Ora in August, and seeing our beloved island, the residents, and our friends Silverheels and her sister Sandy who'll be on-island at the same time we are.
AwardB
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I was having trouble with internet and phone and when I called Viya (new name of the merged companies) and asked if they were experiencing any issues they said that they didn't have any reports of issues. I then asked them if they could check my account and see if there was a billing issue and their reply was "We can't, our system is down." :shock:
awardb

Post by awardb »

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad! :(
AwardB